What is Education ?
- Is it building and nurturing relationships ?
- Is it imparting knowledge ?
- Is it being aware of surroundings and environment all around us ?
- Is it discriminating between good and bad ?
- Is it about developing a sharp and bright intellect ?
- Is it synthesis of traditions and modern ?
- Is it conservatism and technology going hand in hand ?
- Is it developing patriotism in the young minds ?
- Is it developing a healthy character and value system which will be handy all though the life?
Question still remains unanswered. We can attempt to pride further.
Education is the process which addresses all this. How? We at MSMS through the qualified, experienced and highly motivated and sensitive staff aim at imparting the above mentioned area through a well lubricated and efficient infrastructure. We have airy and naturally lighted classrooms, playfields, science labs, computer rooms, libraries and all other facilities that are required to meet the challenges of the present era as well as preparing the child to meet and face what lies ahead with a resolute mind.
The soul of MSMS is, of course, its philosophy - respond with in minimum time to all the requirements.
These lines by Robert Frost guide our actions sand initiatives :
"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence;
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference...!"
Present Education System including curriculum, pedagogy, evaluation and examinations is being received end of criticism. That may be because the expectations of the masses are very high and the school education system is not able to come up to their expectations. Also because the masses are not able to comprehend the complicity of Indian Society, diversities and other factors that keep us pulling back.
But at MSMS, such challenges and hurdles inspire us to pursue our goals with greater determination and achieve good solution to the issues.
The question before us about education which forces us to attempt a rethink, among many are :
- Is the young generation tolerant?
- Is there respect for others, others' property and opinions?
- Do we see erosion of loyalty and family values?
- Do we find belief in righteous behavior in society?
- What about sanctity of sex- that the gift of creating life is sacred, that the impulses that burn among us must be disciplined, restrained and channelized if there is to be happiness and peace and goodness and a sense of self-worth?
- How to ensure that stress, tension should lead to inquisitiveness and excellence and not to suicides? There comes the issue of emotional intelligence.
- How can we replace self ego with self- esteem ?
- The questions of equity and inclusion are also getting priority attention at MSMS.
To achieve the above, the following process is followed at MSMS :
- The first step to make space for creativity, sports and physical exercise and extra-curricular activities which is a constant demand from students.
- Then the second, orienting teacher training towards a stimulating pedagogy based not on bookish knowledge but on an interactive atmosphere involving dialogue with the student, practicals, research, debates, multi-media material etc.
- Third, sensitizing teachers to the child's psychological needs and problems which is a very urgent need.
- Emphasis on learning by doing-hands on projects, experiential learning.
- Integrated curriculum focused on thematic units.
- Strong emphasis on problem solving and critical thinking.
- Group work and developing of social skills.
- Understanding and action as the goals of learning as opposed to rote knowledge.
- Collaborative and cooperative learning projects.
- Education for social responsibility and democracy.
- Integration of community service and service learning projects into the daily curriculum.
- Selection of subject content by looking forward to ask what skills will be needed in society.
- De-emphasis on textbooks in favour of varied learning resources.
- Emphasis on life-long learning and social skills.
- Assessment by evaluation of child's projects and productions.
- This is MSMS and we are proud to be a part of the legacy.